Wednesday, December 22, 2010

El Paso, flying to, El Paso

Once again I find myself writing about adventuring outside of the states. Has it really just been six months since Brazil? Maybe I should look into some kind of career for all of this.
It's currently 6:00p.m., December 18th. I am in the El Paso Airport; I have been for about fifteen hours. I still have eleven more hours to go before any kind of change in scenery. It's interesting living in an airport. Some aspects are kind of cool; I think it could make some good anthropological research… I find it amusing that people tend to have their family reunions here; you can't wait twenty more minutes to get everyone home? I can imagine the fear and insecurity of sending your boy off to the war but do you really need to welcome them back with twenty 10-to-16-year-old kids in the middle of an airport?
So so far, my journey has been uneventful. It started last night drinking and playing games. Because of the assumed time of departure, we stopped at around eleven and just sat down to watch some semi-boring TV show. Next thing I know, my alarm is going off. it's two in the morning and I'm slightly intoxicated, so i finish packing and wake up my roommate. We get to El Paso around 3:30a.m., say our farewells and I walk in. Uninhabitated by the usual chaos that is an airport, I see that I'm three hours early for the first flight of the day. I set my alarm for 4:30 and uncomfortably doze off to the sounds of pandora
4:30a.m.
open one eye, "still empty", reset alarm
5:30a.m.
open one eye, "what the hell?" open other eye.
The place is packed. Almost every airline company has a line of at least thirty people. I get up, get a drink, smoke a cigarette, and file into place awaiting my turn. When the time comes, I give the lady my passport, she swipes it, only to reveal that I am not on the roaster. I tell her my plans, I give her my info, nothing. Eventually, she finds me. Seems like i forgot to check to check the date change when Expedia sent me those emails. I had the time right, just the day wrong, I was 24 hours early. I proceed straight back to a chair and fall back asleep. At 7:00, I decide to find a much more comfy place to rest; carpeted ground in the back of the airport. By 10:00, the commotion of reuniting families becomes too much to sleep through so I get up and ready myself for the coming day. I spend a good seven hours surfing the web on my phone with the occasional cigarette and Starbucks breaks.

The airport population seems to be dissipating, maybe I can catch a few more hours of sleep. I see a girl next to me already taking over the floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment