Friday, January 8, 2010

Mãe no Brasil (semana 1)

Thursday, December 17, 2009
…We gave each other hugs, talked for a little bit, and we were off on our journey to my place. First thing we did was grab a bus back to the bus station, simple enough. When we get there though, we found that we just missed the last bus to São João. No worries, we found ourself a nice little hotel and went out for a drink across the street. I made sure that the first thing she tried here was the cachaça. She loved it but couldn't finish her drink. we later retired…

Friday
Next morning we got up and to my mothers pleasant surprise, had a giant feast for breakfast full of all the normal/exotic Brazilian goodies. Packed our stuff, grabbed a cab to the bus station, and got on a bus to São João del-Rei where we would be staying for the next week. We gave her the regular tour, she unpacked, and we began the welcoming festivities; going to the bar! It was Lucas, his boyfriend, my mother and I. We got some beer, some food, and later on Susan joined us. It started raining so we just picked up our drinks and headed for the entrance of the bar. After a good few hours of drinking at the bar, Lucas and mom decided that they wanted to go dance so we started heading to DOMO, a nightclub nearby. Susan left before we got there seeing how she needed to grab a moto-taxi home. Too bad to, she missed a fun show; my mom and Lucas (a bit drunk) dancing ridiculously together. Lucas's boyfriend and I just kind of sitting there trying not to laugh to much. All and all, I think she had a really fun time for her first night here.


Saturday
…Well seeing how we had gone to bed pretty late and a little intoxicated, we didn't wake up to early or really feel like doing anything to active and so we decided that it would a great time for MEXICAN NIGHT!!! WOOT WOOT! it's been about six months since Susan or I have had green chile so it we defiantly went all out with it. We probably spent a good three or four hours preparing everything; I was in charge of the guacamole, Lucas and Susan making crepes(we weren't able to get any tortillas), mom making the chicken and beef, and Angela opening the cans of green chile(we all tried and she was the only one successful…) It was a glorious meal; there were eight of us at the table eating everything that we could. It was the first time for the Brazilians eating anything like this before and for the most part, they loved it. I also found out that I have a commonality with my host mother: she loves spicy food, probably the first Brazilian that I've met who does. After our feast, none of us where to able to move so we pretty much just went to bed.

Sunday
Today was a day for adventuring. We went to Tiradents, a nearby "touristy" city. We spent the day walking around the small colonial village checking out churches, shops, and just the general streets of the town. I took her to the chocolate shop there where she ended up buying a six pack of mini chocolate + random alcohol shots which I never got to try :-( on our way back to SJDR, we decided to take the Maria Fumaça back, a train scenic train that goes from Tiradents to São João and back. It was my first time on the train to and it was a lot of fun; a lot of nice views.


Monday
Well, she had seen the streets of São João, she had seen Tiradents, and well I had work to do so today, we went to see my advisor. I need to renew my visa and she was helping me out on that. We spoke in english so that my mom could understand all that was going on. afterwards I showed her the rest of that campus and we pretty much spent the day just walking around seeing some more of the city.

Tuesday
Today we walked pretty much to the other side of town to show her the other two campuses and try to find Susan. First we went to the Dom Busco campus where she got to see a bit more of the "rain forest" side of town. Then we went to the CTan campus where she got to check out the "farm/countryside" side of town. Then we tried to go to Susan's house but she wasn't there so we just went across the street from her place to drink a beer. We found out later that Susan had been to some waterfalls with Lucas.


Wednesday
Today was the last day in São João for a while so we said our good-byes to Lucas and Angela and hopped on a bus at seven in the morning to Belo Horizonte. Followed by another bus to the airport, we got on the plane to leave for Argentina.

No comments:

Post a Comment